Thursday, November 1, 2012

Witch Hat Fascinators


So I had a lot of left over scraps of fabric and trims from all the Halloween costumes that I made this year. 

What's a girl to do??? 

I was heading out Hallowe'en night with the family and some friends to trick or treat.  I think it is a great time to make a few witch hat fascinators for the ladies of the Hallowe'en evening's events!


I had leftover fabrics, trims, stabilizer and more from various costumes. I took the stabilizer and made three cricles using the bucket shown on the top portion of the photo and then three half circles just about double the size of the full circles. 


Using hot glue, I glued the circle to the fabric I chose. In this case it was a crushed velvet that I had used on the vampiress costume I made earlier this month for a young girl. after cutting around the circle leaving about a 1 1/2" edge, I fold all the excess over the other side of the circle and glue it securely.




Then the half circle. I fold over a little bit to the flat edge and everything else gets cut flush to the rounded side of the stabilizer.



I then roll the half circle around to create a cone. My half circles weren't  perfect and I found them just a hair bigger than I wanted, so i did cut off a little bit and trim them after I glued it together to get the desired size I wanted. then pinned it in place at the crease so I could wait for the hot glue to cool. 

Then I glued the circle to the cone and let them all cool.

The bottom is now in need of a hole so I can later attach the headband more effectively.  I used my exact-o blade and a little scissor.






 I chose a few trims that I had in my craft box (laces, sequins etc) and then a few Hallowe'en floral sprays  that I got on clearance a few days ago at Michael's for about 80 cents each.


 When the decorating was all done, I glued the headband to the sides of the hole in the bottom of the hat.







                                                               Here are the three completed hats.



All ready to head out for the night! :)

Can you make a hat that would work for Thanksgiving???  Send me a photo of your creation! missmidwestmn@hotmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment