Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A Day off Project ... OR ... Sometimes Kids Ruin Everything

This weekend, I found I had a little time off and could lend a few hours on Saturday to creating a few things.

Some time went to playing with my new icing tips and fondant/gum paste making flowered cupcakes and cakes. Some of it went to completing a few painted items. Some to finishing some decorating. and some to overall home improvement projects that I had been waiting on for quite some time.

I took a lot of pictures, So don't worry! I have lots of posts coming on quite a few of them!

I almost titled this blog as Kids Ruing Everything... but I thought maybe that was a little rough. Appropriate... but rough...

See, my kids feel very comfortable in their house. VERY comfortable. So they don't mind hanging on to a few towel bars in the bathrooms, or writing on a wall, or climbing a shelf or two. Unfortunately, their comfortable feeling with my walls and etc means that I am left with a few projects to patch holes, create sturdier solutions so their comfort doesn't mean that kids ruin everything. :)

So today, I took on repairing the towel bars in the bathroom that found their way off my walls. First was a long search through pinterest, DIY websites, and lots of images from all over the internet to get ideas on what I needed for the walls. It needed to be sturdy and say on the wall, and be not nearly as easy for kids to hang on. AND fun to make.

So here you have it, the towel racks created to fix the things that my kids ruin. :)



So here is the DIY fancy schmancy shelf and towel hook/shelf. 



The supplies used for this were:

choice of crown moulding
four or five metal hooks
white paint
paint brushes/sponges
quarter round
wood nails
1'X8' wood cut to your length of choice
1'X6' wood cut to the length of choice for the shelf 




First, the base of the rack was cut using the 1X8 wood to the length desired for each of the two shelves I wanted. Then the crown moulding was cut to surround the 1X8 board.




Then the shelf was added to the top, cut to the length of the base plus the crown moulding added to it.

 A piece of quarter round cut to the length of the shelf was them nailed into place at the top front.  


PAINT IT UP! 




Add the hooks to the base boards measuring carefully to be sure they are evenly spaced. 





















Hang, decorate, and enjoy! These two also need some paint/putty at the screws where they were affixed to the walls, but I am pretty happy with how they turned out! 




Now you try! send me a picture of your attempt to create this towel rack/shelf and I will share!

Follow, subscribe, and see you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment