Sunday, October 30, 2016

Like, I Totally, Like, Ripped My Face Off

In my house, I have developed a bit of a reputation to be able to produce what my kids request for Halloween each year. So as time goes on, the requests have continued to become more complicated and specific.. and I continue to try to fill said requests.

This year, when asked what she wanted to be, my thirteen year old said the following, "I, like, totally want to be this, like, masquerade girl that totally is in black colors. But then I didn't get a mask, so I, like, totally ripped off my face to make my own mask." 

SO, I took a look around Pinterest, image searches, and more and settled on a plan for Terra's costume this year. 

After sewing the costume, the big trick was the mask/face.

I started with a plastic mask I had found at Walmart. This one was just a few bucks and had a bit of lace attached to it along with an elastic band for it to go around the head. 

I  removed the lace and the elastic from it and using Mod Podge and toilet paper I covered the mask with three layers of paper. 

When dry, I trimmed up the edges of the mask and put two layers of foundation on it the closely matched my daughter's skin tone, and then set the liquid with loose powder. 






Once the foundation had set, I started to add the gore. I purchased a bottle of "bloody scab" makeup from the costume shop, and then added additional additional shading and bruising with eye shadows, corn starch, and food coloring. 

Terra's makeup was created with a series of layers of toilet paper, latex, and the same process of corn starch, eye shadow, and "bloody scab" 






And there you have it! My daughter now totally looks like she ripped her face off.  Please enjoy the final product pictured below. :)



Have you read? I have a new website and can create things for your next Halloween, Renfest, Party, or event. I also have some great home made gifts, and classes! You can check it out it www.oakgrovecalicocrafts.webs.com 

As always, follow, subscribe and join me on my next crafting adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment