Friday, November 11, 2016

There's No Place Like Home

A while back I was hungry for a new project to try out at home. I searched throughout the internet, checked out pinterest, practically camped out at Michael's, and finally settled on a fun little project for the home.

I was really excited about this one because so many projects in this home are not a year-round, so many go into storage until the next year. Often, so much time is put into a project and then a few months go by and it goes right back into a box until next year (when I have probably done another project instead).

So this fun little HOME sign with interchangeable "O" letters seems to be just the ticket!

So here you have it, the HOME letter project.



So first step was a stop off to my local craft shop to take a look at the letters I will be using for this project.  I settled on the white ones pictured below from Michael's.



I also chose a few wood shapes for a few holidays and seasons coming up.

I also picked out small cross slice of a tree branch similar to a previous pumpkin projects I was working on. 

Additionally, I cut a few shapes at home from some of the scrap wood I had from other projects.






At home, I painted the first coat of white, brown, green, or orange onto all of the shapes, and then painted each of the H M E letters black and waited for them to dry.


Once everything was dry, I sanded the edges of each of the shapes and the letters to give them all a weathered look. 



 With all of the sanding completed, I went on to create the various shapes that would replace the "O" in the word HOME.

The first one I worked on was the pumpkin. Heading back to the similar techniques I used on the Pumpkin project a few posts back, I just created a mini version of it.





About three years back, Anna Williams and I made a set of turkeys with some 2X4's, paint sticks, and popsicle sticks.  I believe I blogged a little bit about them in a previous post. As time has gone on, they have lost a few feathers and have gotten a little rougher along the way. So I decided to take them and take the conglomerate of three and make a smaller one for this project.






I wanted ot have a fun one for Halloween and chose a sugar skull as the shape that I wanted to make the filler letter for the "O" in this round. Using fun printed papers layered on with Mod Podge,  and a collection of dimensional stones and shapes to embellish the skull, I went to work adding a few details to give it a sugar skull look. 







 I also completed a Christmas ornament (Sorry, I forgot to get a photo. I will add it to the post later!), an Easter bunny, a Valentine's Day heart, and a snowflake (sorry, no pic of this one either).I had also tried to make a Christmas tree as one of the shapes, but I will caution you now on that as it ended up looking too much like it said HAME instead of HOME. So

I ended up scrapping the tree after some hard deliberation.

Here are a few of the other shapes I had made: 




Now it is your turn! Create a great HOME display that you will put in your home or gift to a friend! Not sure you want to (or have time to) make this one yourself? I am taking orders now to complete a few of these for your Holiday gifts. They are just $35.00 and will include four shapes/holidays of your choosing. 

As always, please be sure to subscribe, follow and check out my website for more classes and fun I can offer to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment