Wednesday, December 5, 2012

TURKEY TIME!

WOW! I have been a little insanely busy lately... or lazy, I can't decide.

I obviously haven't posted a new blog on any projects I have done recently, but there are definitely a few. So  I present to you now, my 2X4 turkey craft.

This gem was discovered on Pinterest with the help of my friend, Anna Williams. She is joking that we should re-name my craft blog to Crafting with Wendy and Williams because it seems like right now whenever we get together, she and I are painting wood scraps and trying to make them into something and I am taking photos of it for the blog. (I may have to take her up on that and make a name change... thoughts?)

So this was what we got together to try our hand at for Thanksgiving: 2X4 Turkeys.

SO here's what you need:

Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the paint stick. You need one of those for every turkey you do. You can get them at any paint or home improvement store. Just ask at the mixing counter! :)


one to three 2x4's. these should be of varying heights, but no specific measurements needed on that. 

Jumbo craft sticks 5-10


fun fall paper patterns

Mod Podge

Brown acrylic paint.
Next, glue the  paint stick to the wood block with hot glue. make sure it is sticking up from the top of the 2X4 a little bit. The nice thing about the thickness of the paint sticks is that they were easily cut to size with a craft scissor.  Then paint the whole thing brown.  

While the brown is drying on the block and paint stick, start cutting the paper for the craft sticks. This can be done by tracing the craft stick and then cutting it out and gluing it on or gluing it on and then cutting around the stick. I went with the later and then mod podged all of them down. I cut my craft sticks to fit the back of the turnkeys better. Anna didn't. It seemed like either way worked just fine.

 While the sticks are drying turn your attention back to the block. It should be dry by now and you can take a piece of not so fine grit sandpaper and run it over all the edges of the block and paint stick for a defined edge on the pieces. The popsicle/craft sticks should be dry enough now to also sand the edges of those too for definition and "rustic" look.


Hot glue the sticks to the back of the turkey in a fan shape. 


Cut out a beak and waddle (Is that what that thing is called? gobbler? I dunno)


Then give it a heart and paint on two cute beady little eyes. I used the mod podge for the adhesive. 


Finally attach a little raffia and a bow and POW cute turkey!


Here was my family of little turkey mates!

HAPPY TURKEY MAKING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment