Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kitties, Owls, Pumpkins, Cake and..... SWORDS??

So after a mommy's day off yesterday (still recovering from the piles of laundry, dishes and mess), I decided to finish off the last of my costuming for the Hallowe'en holiday and get crafting with the kids.

I have been trying to keep the house active with holiday crafts as my littlest (she is three) is asking every night as soon as it is dark enough if it is Hallowe'en yet.

To help ease the blow each time I tell her "no", I have started trying to get crafts together every few days until the day finally arrives.

A few days ago we made a candy house from a kit that i bought on CLEARANCE last year. The nice thing about those is that candy really takes a long time to spoil and when it is all vacuum sealed and solid sugar, it can be purchased for the following year without too much possibility of spoilage. I always prepare for the possibility that there may be bad icing in it that won't hold together, be too runny, or way too thick, so I was ready to make my own. turned out this stuff wasn't too bad though, so we used it.  Like their mother, though, the kids couldn't do a kit just as is, so they added a graham cracker chimney, fence, and walkway. I am proud.  Now just to keep the three year old from eating it before Hallowe'en is over.


At JOANN FABRICS on Monday, I used an awesome moonlight madness coupon for 30% off AND all the great sales and scored some AWESOME shopping deals for the season. Some that I put away for next year too. (Ultimately, I am super proud to say that of my $229.00 in purchases, I only paid $60.00!)

One of the fun things I grabbed to use this year was these MARTHA STEWART pinwheel folded paper decorations that looked easy enough for the kids to put together. So Sammi took the Pumpkin, Terra took the owl and Aubrey had dibs immediately on the Kitty.

I think that they are a pretty good addition and with 50% off Martha products and another 30% off that, they barely cost a dime! I think I will figure out how to craft them next year so we can make more.


With the kids in bed (well, sorta, I can still hear them ratin' around), I have turned my attention to finishes on a few costumes that I need to complete. I have one mermaid tail, a He-Man Sword and shield, and a saloon girl train/bustle to finish. Then I am done! :)


I think of all my challenges with costumes this year, He-man is my biggest. This costume is for a four year old who loves to watch old videos with his dad and really got into He-man himself. The trick??? NO ONE makes a He-man for kids. I mean, the TV show is like 25 years old, so finding an adult one is really your only hope. As a kid, I was a big fan of He-man and She-Ra myself, so I couldn't let the kid go without his hero costume. I knew this one pretty well, so I said I would give it a shot.... the trick though... the muscles and being as close to the illustration as possible in just a two week window. MUSCLES... very important and the specific design and style of the shield and sword, also would be a plus.





So here is the toy I found to use as an example, and here is the finished product. (It totally looks LAME on the dress form. I promise it is way more bad*$$ on Alex!)


Now for the weaponry... yeah, it is violent... WHATEVER! You can't have a decent He-man without the sword .. and by the power of Grayskull, I was gonna make it happen darn it! The shield is also a big giveaway for those who know He-man and would help people know what his costume was.

So, though I lost part of my thumb in the process, I sculpted the sword and shield out of floral foam and pulped mold-able  paper mache.

Today they were finally dry and I could paint them for Alex and his family to pick up on Friday when it is all dry! :)




And finally with the kids down for the night, I tested out my bars that I made for tomorrow's candidate forum. The St Francis Women of Today make the refreshments and treats for the event.  

I have this great cookbook that I use almost religiously when events like this come up: the HOPE cookbook from Isaac's Journey (www.isaacsfoundation.org). If you haven't heard of Isaac's Journey, you must not talk to me much because this is a passion of mine. 

Isaac's Journey was founded by a now very good friend of mine who lost her two year old son a few years ago to cancer. She has since made an amazing foundation from this tragic loss and is raising money for childhood cancer research and awareness.  My Friend, Linda, along with her foundation team have raised more than $110,000.00 for the University of Minnesota for their research in childhood cancer.  I am so fortunate to know her. She is so much more amazing than she knows!

*TEARS* 

But anywho.....page 44 has the most yummy raspberry almond jam bars. YOU WILL LOVE THEM.  I made those and then revamped the recipe to make a similar bar with cherry pie filling and the same batter, but without the shortening. They were a little more cake like, but still totally yummy.

Go check out her website and buy the cookbook. If you only ever own one... this is it!


So I enjoy a square of each bar with a glass of milk and finish this blog for the evening.... TO LINDA and ISAAC! 


Until next time! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment